PA Department of Human Services provides a statewide list of childcare providers for employees who work in life-sustaining positions.
Resources are available for all grade levels, as compiled by L-S teachers, to provide educational content during the school closure. Families are also encouraged to visit Schoology and SeeSaw pages for information from classroom teachers.
Remote Instruction Information
- Home Internet Access
- Connecting a Chromebook to Wi-Fi (Grades 3-12)
- Connecting an iPad to Wi-Fi (Grades K-2)
- General Student Information
- Chromebook & iPad Protection Plan
- Off-Campus Web Filtering
- Technical Support
- Cleaning Your Device
- Charging Your Device
- Anytime Learning Handbook
- Accessing Schoology and Seesaw
Home Internet Access
The most critical factor in the success of our remote learning efforts will be the Internet Connectivity of all students and their families. If you do not currently have reliable, high-speed internet access in your home, the following program may be able to assist you in acquiring low-cost, high-quality service:
Comcast Internet EssentialsFREE for the duration of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Internet Essentials program provides cable internet service to families meeting the following criteria:
- You are eligible for public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, Housing Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, and/or others.
- You do not have outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than a year old. Families with outstanding debt more than one year old may still be eligible.
- You live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available.
- You are not an existing Xfinity Internet customer and have not subscribed to Xfinity Internet in the last 90 days.
While this service is FREE at this time, the normal price is $9.95/month.
There is No Contract, No Installation Fee, and No Credit Check.
In addition to internet service, a Wireless Gateway/Router is also included at no cost.
To apply, please visit: apply.internetessentials.com or call 1-855-846-8376
Families near a Comcast hotspot can connect for free during the pandemic. To look for a hotspot, visit this site: https://hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com/mobile/?nc
In addition to Comcast's Internet Essentials offering, many wireless phone providers (cell phone companies) have lifted Data Caps and activated mobile hotspot service for all customers in light of COVID-19 and the surge in home/remote work, education, and entertainment.
Example: Verizon Wireless has added 15GB of LTE Data to all current data plans, which can be used on the device itself or for mobile hotspot service to other devices within the home.
If you currently have a cellular data plan, but do not have separate high-speed internet service for your home, please contact your wireless provider and ask them what they may be offering in this challenging time.
Most services take between 5-10 days to activate, so please begin this process as quickly as possible!
Still Having Problems With Access?If you are unable to acquire service on your own, and would like confidential assistance from L-S, please do not hesitate to contact our support team:
- By email: internetaccess@L-Spioneers.org
- By phone: 717.464.3311, press 6, and leave a message with your name and phone number for a return call.
Connecting a Chromebook to Wi-Fi (Grades 3-12)
- Connect your Chromebook charger to your Chromebook.
- Open your Chromebook lid. Your Chromebook should automatically power up.
- If your Chromebook fails to power-up, press the power button.
- Once powered, your Chromebook will present the “Network not available” window:
- From the list presented, select your home Wi-Fi network.
- The Chromebook will present the “Join Wi-Fi network” window.
- The Security option may auto-select the correct security option, typically PSK (WPA or RSN). Your security option may differ. Choose what is appropriate for your WI-FI.
- Enter your home WI-FI password in the password field.
- Select Connect.
- Your Chromebook will present the “Sign in to your Chromebook” window.
- Proceed as you normally do when logging in to your Chromebook.
Connecting an iPad to Wi-Fi (Grades K-2)
- Tap the Settings icon, tap Wi-Fi, and confirm that Wi-Fi is set to On (should be green):
- Choose your network from the list provided. **Secure Wi-Fi networks are password-protected and have a lock by their names.
- Enter your network's encryption key (password) if you're prompted and tap Join.
- Tap the Home button to return to your iPad home screen.
General Student Information
Student L-S & Google AccountsAll L-S students have a District-issued username and password for accessing our network, educational websites, and iPad apps. @L-S uses the following format for usernames, depending on the service being used:
- Student ID - e.x. 5123412
- Student ID + “@L-Spioneers.org” - ex. 5123412@L-Spioneers.org - This is the one that is used for Google services.
- L-S + Student ID - ex. L-S5123412
Most L-S students will know their assigned password, but please reach out to your homeroom teacher if there are any issues with passwords.
Chromebook & iPad Protection PlanIn response to the shift to remote learning, L-S is providing all K-4 students with complimentary coverage under our standard Protection Plan. There are some exceptions:
- This plan provides extensive, but not unlimited, coverage in the event the Chromebook or iPad suffers accidental damage (drops/spills), and assists with replacement cost coverage. L-S will cover up to $100 worth of damage for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year.
- If the damage appears to be intentional, we will ask families to pay the full repair/replacement cost.
- Devices that are lost or stolen will need to be purchased at their original replacement value.
The replacement value of a Chromebook is $250. The replacement value of an iPad is $300.
Off-Campus Web Filtering
- The District provides content filtering on all L-S issued devices through a service called Securly. This service works seamlessly on Chromebooks in grades 3 - 12.
- On iPads, Securly needs to know who is accessing the iPad to properly filter the devices, which means it requires each student to log into the service. From time to time, the iPad may prompt the student to log in when necessary. The screen will look like the image below or will list the student’s current Google account:
- Students should choose the account that may be listed or enter their L-S Google username and password. The format is “username@L-Spioneers.org,” as described previously in the document.
- This login should work for at least 8 hours, so students should not see this screen more than once per day. Should they attempt to access inappropriate content, or encounter a site that is blocked due to malware or other security concerns, they will receive a message informing them that the site is completely blocked, and they will not be presented with the option to login. An examples is shown below:
- Technical issues related to logging into a website, an app, etc. should be reported immediately to your homeroom teacher. Homeroom teachers will initiate the technical support process through our ticketing system, at which point the L-S Technology Team will take over and provide further assistance or direction.
- If you have an issue with your Chromebook or iPad hardware, you may reach out to the Technology Team directly by sending an email to TechHelp@L-Spioneers.org* and someone will be in touch to find a solution. Students in grades 5-12 should continue to use the ticketing system if possible.
*beginning April 6
Cleaning Your Device
General Care & Cleaning Tips
- Use only a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, or similar items.
- Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage.
- Unplug all external power sources, devices, and cables.
- Keep liquids away from the product, unless otherwise noted for specific products.
- Don't get moisture into any openings.
- Don't use aerosol sprays, bleaches, or abrasives.
- Don't spray cleaners directly onto the item. (Spray the cleaner onto a cloth, then wipe the device.)
Is it OK to use a disinfectant on my device and case?
- Using a disinfecting wipe, you may gently wipe the hard, nonporous surfaces of your iPad or Chromebook, such as the screen, bezel, or camera lens, and back cover. The iPad Case can also be cleaned entirely by these types of wipes.
- Never use bleach.
- Never submerge your iPad or Chromebook in any cleaning agents, and avoid getting moisture in any openings.
Charging Your Device
- Students should only use the District provided iPad and Chromebook chargers.
- Do not lean the iPad in a way that it bends the iPad charging cable.
Anytime Learning Handbook
To learn more about the District’s 1:1 learning initiative, you can read the entire Anytime Learning Handbook here: https://tinyurl.com/LSRemoteLearning
Join Our Communities
Lampeter-Strasburg School District
1600 Book Rd., Lancaster PA 17602
Administration Building: 717-464-4699
Lampeter Elementary School: 717-358-1880
Hans Herr Elementary School: 717-509-0300
Martin Meylin Middle School: 717-509-0289
Lampeter-Strasburg High School: 717-509-0485