District Honors Retirees, Distinguished Alumni Award Winner, Teacher of the Year
2019 Honorees: M. Frances Keen, Linda Young, Jeanne Hoffard, Elizabeth Esbenshade-Fluck, Nancy Moyer, Kathleen Boyce, Anna Donato, Cal Esh, Denise Buch Not Pictured: Denise Calhoun, John Grabowski, Katherine John, Linda McCullough,
Ten Lampeter-Strasburg employees were honored in retirement and one employee celebrated 25 years of service at the annual Board Recognition Banquet on May 10, 2019. The retirees have a combined 245 years of employment with the District. The 2019 Distinguished Alumni Award winner and the 2019 Teacher of the Year also were honored.
25 Years of Service
- Kathleen Boyce - Mrs. Boyce is the District’s assistant business manager.
- Denise Buch - Mrs. Buch was a physical education teacher at Martin Meylin Middle School.
- Denise Calhoun - Mrs. Calhoun was a fifth grade classroom teacher at Hans Herr Elementary School.
- Anna Donato - Mrs. Donato was the District’s director of food services.
- Calvin Esh - Mr. Esh was an English teacher at Lampeter-Strasburg High School. He will continue to coach high school cross country and track teams.
- Jeanne Hoffard - Mrs. Hoffard is the superintendent’s secretary. She will retire at the end of October 2019.
- John Grabowski - Mr. Grabowski was a food service employee at Hans Herr Elementary School.
- Katherine John - Mrs. John was a reading assistant at Hans Herr Elementary School.
- Linda McCullough - Mrs. McCullough was the director of the District’s School Age Child Care program.
- Nancy Moyer - Mrs. Moyer was a reading assistant at Hans Herr Elementary School.
- Linda Young - Dr. Young was the District’s reading supervisor. She was the principal at Strasburg Elementary School from 2011-2013.
Distinguished Alumni Award Winner: Dr. M. Frances Keen, D.N.Sc., RN-BC
The 2019 Distinguished Alumni is Dr. M. Frances Keen from the Class of 1967. Dr. Keen has dedicated her life in service to mankind through nursing, both as a professor more than three decades and as an healthcare advocate in underserved areas of the world. Dr. Keen received the Lampeter-Strasburg Distinguished Alumni Award at the 45th annual Board Recognition Dinner on May 10, 2019. She was nominated by 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award winner and classmate Ann Metcalf.
After graduating from Lampeter-Strasburg in 1967, Dr. Keen attended The Johns Hopkins School of Nursing, received her B.S.N and M.S. from the University of Maryland, and her D.N.Sc. from the Catholic University of America. Dr. Keen blazed a trail both for nurses and women in professional positions. She served on the faculty at University of Miami School of Nursing for two decades and at Villanova University until her retirement and continues to teach adjunct classes at Villanova today.
As a natural-born nurse, Dr. Keen’s passion lies in helping those who need help the most. As a young woman she spent four summers teaching and nursing in the poorest areas of Jamaica. She later spent a year as a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Malawi, developing a connection to the continent of Africa that has lasted for decades. At Villanova, Dr. Keen was instrumental in creating an opportunity for nursing students to care for HIV/AIDS patients in South Africa. She also worked tirelessly to provide sustainable feminine hygiene products and health education for schoolgirls through a program called Days for Girls.
In retirement, Dr. Keen continues to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity and has participated in Global Village builds in Kenya and Malawi. She is planning to volunteer at builds in South Africa and Lesotho this summer. She is forever devoted to helping those who need it the most, volunteering at church and caring for forgotten people and neglected pets. She resides in Lancaster.
Dr. Keen personifies the award criteria of “outstanding service to mankind.” The Distinguished Alumni committee and District are proud to count her as a Pioneer.
Join Our Communities
Lampeter-Strasburg School District
1600 Book Rd., Lancaster PA 17602
Administration Building: 717-464-4699
Lampeter Elementary School: 717-358-1880
Hans Herr Elementary School: 717-509-0300
Martin Meylin Middle School: 717-509-0289
Lampeter-Strasburg High School: 717-509-0485