2019-2020 Pioneer Pride Classic
Seniors Emma Houck and Alex Baker list the accomplishments of 2018-2019 teams at the 2nd annual Pioneer Pride Classic.
The 2019-2020 sports season officially kicked off on Thursday, August 15, with the second annual Pioneer Pride Classic. Fall, winter, and spring sports athletes, coaches, friends, and family members gathered at JK Mechanical Stadium to celebrate L-S athletics and generate excitement for the upcoming year. Varsity Club co-presidents Emma Houck and Alex Baker joined Mr. Shockey and Dr. Lippy to recap accomplishments from 2018-2019. Cheerleaders and the marching band performed and senior Seth Beers spoke about his experience playing sports at L-S.
Best of luck to all teams this year! Go Pioneers!
- Won the Section II Championship.
- Finished the regular season ranked #2 out of teams in 5A.
- Won the L-L League Tournament by beating Hempfield.
- Beat Red Land in the District III 5A 3rd place consolation game to make it to the PIAA 5A State Championship game.
- Lost to Red Land in the PIAA 5A State Championship game.
- L-L League First Team All-Stars: Braedon Karpathios, Dylan Byler, Aaron Snyder, Derek Eckman, and Joseph Meck.
- L-L League Second Team: Patrick Holmes, Taso Kovack, Thomas Shockey, and Connor Blantz.
- Section III Champions (fourth Section Championship in a row).
- Finished the regular season ranked #2 out of teams in District III 5A. Finished the tournament as the 5th seed.
- Qualified for the PIAA State tournament and lost to Pottsville in the first round.
- L-L League Section 3 All-Stars:Seth Beers – 1st Team; Chase Broderick, Adam Stoltzfus, Patrick Holmes, Zach Kingsley – 2nd Team.
- Finished the regular season 2nd in Section III.
- Finished the regular season ranked #5 out of 32 teams in District III 5A.
- Qualified for the L-L League Championships. Beat Pequea Valley in the first round but lost to Cedar Crest in the quarterfinals.
- Qualified for District III Championships. Lost in the first round to Palmyra.
- Emma Gochnauer - L-L League 1st Team All –Star. Finished her career 2nd all-time in points with 1,466.
- Nora Holmes – L-L League Honorable Mention.
- Stephanie Mays competed in the L-L League Girls Singles Championships.
- Boys’ team won their first ever Section II Championship (co-champions with Manheim Central).
- L-L League Section II First Team All Star: Jansen Miller.
- L-L League Section II Second Team All-Star: David Helms and Micah Gordley.
- Jansen Miller and Micah Gordley: Medaled at Leagues, placing 20th overall.
- Both teams qualified for the District III Cross Country Meet.
- L-L League Senior Scholar-Athletes: Kyla Drouillard, Payton King, Jared Chin, Zackary Kingsley, Dominic Reed, Mark Reed, Thomas Sellers, Thomas Shockey, Josiah Zehr, and Jansen Miller.
- Qualified for the L-L League Championships as the #3 seed from Section II. Lost to Penn Manor in the quarterfinals.
- Qualified for the District 3 Championships as the #7 seed from 2A. Lost to New Oxford in the first round.
- L-L League Academic All Stars: Amelia Cope, Alexis Glass, Kelsey Kimmel, Delaney McCormick, Makayla Malcolm, and Katelyn Smith.
- L-L League First Team All Stars: Chloe Blantz—Forward, Daisy Frank—Forward, Abigail Thorius—Midfielder, Jocelyn Branco—Back.
- L-L League Second Team All Stars: Julianna Garber—Midfielder, Katelyn Smith—Back.
- L-L League Honorable Mention: Julia Smecker.
- PHSFHCA All-State Honorable Mention: Abby Thorius.
- L-L Section II Coach of the Year: Head Coach Katrina Swarr.
- Qualified for the District III Championships as the #10 seed from 4A. Beat ELCO in the first round and lost to Berks Catholic in the quarterfinals.
- L-L First Team All-Stars: Jack Eckman (Guard), Tyler Phenegar (DT), Gabe Frederick (ILB), Joe Underwood (DE)
- L-L Second Team All-Stars: Joe Underwood (RB), Connor Blantz (TE), Jacob Kopelman (DB)
- L-L Honorable Mention: Zac Shelley (OT), Gabe Frederick (Punter)
- L-L First Team Academic All-Stars: Connor Blantz, Shawn Thomas, and Joe Underwood.
- L-L Honorable Mention All-Stars: Johnny Franklin & Jack Eckman
- Section III Champions.
- Completed in L-L League Tournament: Austin Lauver, Pat Holmes, Katie Lapinsky, Gehrig Harsh, Matt Wilson, Jullian Lauver, and Stewart McClain.
- District III Qualifiers: Austin Lauver, Katie Lapinsky, and Matt Wilson.
- PIAA State Eastern Regional Qualifier: Katie Lapinsky.
- L-L League Section III All-Stars: Austin Lauver, Katie Lapinksy.
- L-L League Honorable Mention: Matt Wilson, Patrick Holmes.
- Austin Lauver: L-L League Section 3 low average award winner.
- Senior Ezra Mellinger ended his high school indoor track career on a stratospheric high note, breaking a 30-year-old state record and garnering several state honors. His long jump of 24-11.5 at the Pennsylvania Track Coaches Association (PTFCA) state meet was the second best in state history. Ezra was subsequently named Boys Athlete of the Year by PTFCA in addition to garnering all-state first team status for the long jump and third team for the 50-meter dash. He also placed second in the long jump at the New Balance Nationals Indoor meet in New York. Ezra has one more L-S track and field season to go before joining the Duke University team in the fall. Received All-American (long jump) honors; All-State 1st Team long jump and 3rd Team 60-meter dash honors.
- Finished the regular season ranked #9 out of 26 teams in 2A.
- Qualified for the District 3 2A championships. Lost to Conrad Weiser in the first round.
- Mark Reed - L-L League Academic All-Star.
- Dominic Reed - L-L League Class Act.
- Noah Patterson, Bryce Roberts – L-L League 1st Team All-Star.
- Jack Ingram, Connor Nolt - L-L League 2nd Team All-Star.
- Finished the regular season ranked #4 out of 28 teams in 2A.
- Lost in the L-L League Semifinals to Manheim Township.
- Beat Wyomissing in the quarterfinals of the District 3 Lacrosse Championships, Lost to York Catholic in the semifinals, and lost to Cocalico in the 3rd place consolation game.
- Qualified for the PIAA State Lacrosse Championships as the 4th seed from District 3. Beat Wyomissing Seminary in the 1st round. This was our first-ever state level girls’ lacrosse win. Lost to Villa Maria in the quarterfinals. This is the furthest the girls’ lacrosse program has ever gone.
- Kelsey Kimmel – L-L League 1st Team All-Star, Central PA All-American.
- Brittney Zameroski – L-L League 1st Team All-Star, Central PA All-Academic Team.
- Mary Peticca – L-L League 1st Team All-Star.
- McKenna Conklin, Marissa Denlinger – L-L League 2nd Team All-Star.
- Katelyn Smith, Paige Weidman – L-L League Honorable Mention.
- Qualified for the District III Championships as the #11 seed from 3A. Lost to West York in the first round.
- L-L 1st Team All-Stars: Derek Eckman and Logan Heister.
- L-L League 2nd Team All-Stars: Seth Beers and Caden Wise.
- L-L League Academic All-Star: Noah Patterson.
- Qualified for the District III Championships as the #11 seed from 3A. Beat Susquehannock in the first round. Lost to Lower Dauphin in the quarterfinals.
- L-L League Section II Sportsmanship Award.
- L-L League First Team All Stars: Emma Houck and Elli Strauss.
- L-L League Second Team All Stars: Lizzie Deardorff and Jenna Daveler.
- L-L League Academic All Star: Maya Horst.
- All L-L League Team: Elli Strauss.
- L-L League Section II Coach of the Year: Head Coach Emily Lebo.
- Won the Section II Championship.
- Finished the regular season ranked #1 out of 32 teams in 5A.
- Won the L-L League Tournament by beating Elizabethtown.
- Beat Waynesboro in the District III 5A 3rd place consolation game to make it to the PIAA 5A State Championship game.
- Lost to Penn-Trafford in the PIAA 5A State Championship game.
- L-L League First Team All-Stars: Brynne Baker, Camryn Byler, Gabby Drumm, Daisy Frank, Julz Garber, Summer Peters.
- PaHSSBCA First Team All-State: Julz Garber, Summer Peters, and Emily Platt.
- PaHSSBCA Second Team All-State: Camryn Byler, Daisy Frank, and Chloe Blantz.
SwimmingL-L All –League All-Stars: 200m Relay: Bre Fluhr, Lexi Wagner, Elizabeth Horner, Catherine Horner; 500 freestyle – Elizabeth Horner; 100 Backstroke: Elizabeth and Catherine Horner;
L-L League Championships:
200 medley relay: Fluhr, Wagner, E. Horner, C. Horner, 5th, 1:55.08 (new school record/broke own)
- 200 IM: E. Horner, 5th, 2:14.38 (new school record/broke own)
- 50 free: C. Horner, 2nd, 24.79 (new school record/broke own)
- 500 free: E. Horner, 4th, 5:14.76 (new school record/broke own)
- 100 back: C. Horner, 1st! 57.91 (new school record); Fluhr, 2nd, 59.16
- 400 free relay: E. Horner, Curran, Fluhr, C. Horner, 7th, 3:53.2.
- Girls tied for 5th place overall.
- We only had 4 boys swim at leagues, and while none placed, all had best times.
- Girls 200 medley relay finished in 8th placed, Bre Fluhr-backstroke, Lexi Wagner-breaststroke, Elizabeth Horner-butterfly, Catherine Horner-freestyle.
- Elizabeth Horner finished 8th place in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:18.88.
- Catherine Horner finished 4th in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 58.13 and qualified for the PIAA State Swim Championships in this event.
- The girls finished 13th out of 29 teams.
- Nathan Eberly: Qualifier in the 200 and 500 free.
- Justin Miller: Qualifier in the 100 back.
- Catherine Horner qualified in the 100-yard backstroke as the 25th seed out of 32. Finished 14th out of 32 and made it to the consolations where she finished 16 out of 16.
- Finished the season ranked #29 out of 44 teams in 3A.
- Alex Braun and Luke Kelly advanced to L-L League Flight 3 finals.
- Section II Champions (undefeated season in the section).
- Finished the regular season as #13 out of 49 schools in 3A.
- Sarah Capoferri – Section II and L-L League All-Star, Section II MVP, placed 3rd in District III Singles Tournament, PIAA State Singles qualifier.
- L-L League Section II All-Star: Larson Kessler.
Track & FieldL-S seniors brought home three gold medals at the 2019 District 3 Track and Field Championships. Senior Ezra Mellinger won both the long jump and the 200-meter dash while senior Kristin Herr won the javelin. Overall, the boys’ team tied for 7th place out of 49 teams and the girls’ team placed 18th out of 52 teams.
- Long jump – Ezra Mellinger, 1st
- 200-meter dash – Ezra Mellinger, 1st
- Pole vault – Josiah Zehr, 5th
- Shot put – Gabe Frederick, 6th
- Javelin – Alex Stoeffler, 8th
- 300-meter hurdles – Josiah Zehr, 9th
- Discus – Jacob Long, 12th
- 4x100 relay – Ezra Mellinger, Jacob Kopelman, Josiah Zehr, Josh Horst, 13th
- 4x800 relay – Grant Kuhn, Luka Vranich, Arik Harnish, Jansen Miller, 16th
- 800 meter run – Jansen Miller, 17th
- Javelin – Kristen Herr, 1st
- Discus – Kristen Herr, 5th
- High Jump – Lillian Hoke, 11th (tie)
- 4x100 relay – Lindsay Syzmanski, Lauren Gard, Toby Harnish, Elli Strauss, 13th
- 300-meter hurdles – Lauren Gard, 15th
- Lancaster-Lebanon Meet Runner Up, 4x100 (Ezra Mellinger, Josiah Zehr, Josh Horst, Jacob Kopelman).
- Lancaster-Lebanon Meet Runner Up, shot put (Gabe Frederick).
- Lancaster-Lebanon Meet Champion, high jump (Lillian Hoke).
- Kristen Herr, 2nd place, Penn Relays, javelin; league champion, javelin; PIAA District III meet champion, new meet record, javelin; PIAA State Meet Runner Up, javelin, PTFCA Male Athlete of the Year, L-L League All-Star (javelin).
- Ezra Mellinger, Lancaster-Lebanon League Meet Champion (100m, 200m, long jump), PIAA District III meet champion, 200 and long jump; PIAA State Meet Champion (long jump, 200m), PTFCA All-State (200m and Long Jump), PTFCA Male Athlete of the Year.
- Gabe Frederick, PIAA State Meet Qualifier, L-L League All-Star (200m Dash).
- Josiah Zehr, PIAA State Meet Qualifier.
- Lillian Hoke, Gabe Frederick – L-L League Honorable Mention.
- Qualified for the L-L League Championships as the 3rd seed from Section II. Lost to Hempfield in the first round.
- Qualified for the District III Championships as the #11 seed from 3A. Lost to Dover in the first round.
- L-L League Section II First Team All-Star: Betsy Brenneman and Hailey Hoover.
- L-L League Section II Second Team All-Star: Lilian Hoke.
- Section II Champions (first time since 2002).
- Finished the regular season ranked #11 out of 57 teams in District III 3A.
- Qualified for the District III Team Tournament. Beat Daniel Boone in the first round but lost to Cedar Cliff in the quarterfinals. Lost to Gettysburg in the consolation bracket.
- Coach Brad Heeter Section II Coach of the Year.
- Derrick Morgan Section II Assistant Coach of the Year
- Section Champion: Andrew Bliss 126
- District Qualifiers: Hunter Erb 113, Arik Harnish 120, Andrew Bliss 126, Logan Davidson 182, Tyler Phenegar 220, Zac Shelley 285
- L-L League Section II First Team All-Stars: Andrew Bliss (126), Bradey Cunningham (145), Johnny Franklin (195)
- L-L League Section II Second Team All-Stars: Arik Harnish (120), Logan Davidson (182), Zac Shelley (285)
- L-L League Section II Honorable Mention: Hunter Erb (113), Connor Penry (170), Tyler Phenegar (220)
- L-L League Academic All-Stars: Andrew Bliss, Bradey Cunningham, Jarrett Daveler, Jack Eckman, Neil Eckman, Jose Estevez, Johnny Franklin, Arik Harnish, Colin McDonald, Fabiano Moscoso, Parker Owens, Tyler Phenegar, Austin Reiff, Ashton Spahr, Zac Shelley, Nick Salgado.
Join Our Communities
Lampeter-Strasburg School District
1600 Book Rd., Lancaster PA 17602
Administration Building: 717-464-4699
Lampeter Elementary School: 717-358-1880
Hans Herr Elementary School: 717-509-0300
Martin Meylin Middle School: 717-509-0289
Lampeter-Strasburg High School: 717-509-0485