94th Annual West Lampeter Community Fair
September 26-28, 2018
Greta Bennett speaks at the 2017 Fair Queen Contest. Megan Mellinger was crowned 2017 Fair Queen and Miss Bennett was runner up.
Students enjoy an outdoor classroom experience at the 2017 Lampeter Fair.
School Board President Melissa Herr answers questions during the annual Lampeter Elementary scavenger hunt in 2017.
Students walk through artwork exhibits at the 2017 Lampeter Fair.
There's nothing quite like the Lampeter Fair, as anyone who grew up around here can tell you. There are no rides or fancy games, but there's always more than enough to do and see. Elementary school students traverse the fairgrounds on scavenger hunt themed field trips and packs of middle school students walk from campus to the fair on opening day. High school students volunteer at food stands, compete in activities, and cheer for their classmates as they vie for the title of Fair Queen. It all adds up to memories that will last a lifetime and a warm sense of community that keeps L-S alumni coming back year after year with their own children and grandchildren.
Here's what to look forward to in 2018:
General Events/ActivitiesL-S students play in a role in many traditional Fair events:
- Tractor Parade - Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. with junior Tobias Leaman
- Fair Queen Parade - Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. featuring the Martin Meylin marching band and 2018 Fair Queen candidates. The parade leaves from the High School parking lot on Book Road and turns onto Village Road to the fairgrounds. The public is encouraged to line the parade route.
- Fair Queen Contest - Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in the show ring
- Lampeter-Strasburg High School Marching Band Concert - Thursday from 6:00-6:30 p.m. in the show ring
- Lampeter Elementary Field Trips - Thursday and Friday beginning at 9:00 a.m. (weather permitting)
- All-Western Horse Show - Friday from 10:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. with freshman Leah Denlinger
FFA Events/ActivitiesMembers of the High School’s Garden Spot FFA chapter and Martin Meylin’s Jr. FFA work year round to prepare for the fair. This year, several students will show their market animals as well as participate in rounds of judging. On Thursday afternoon, members also will compete in bale throwing, bale stacking, and sawing contests against their peers from neighboring chapters.
- Market Lamb Show - Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. with senior Leah Welk and juniors Jess Herr and Grace Hess
- Market Swine Show - Wednesday at 1:00 p.m. with Leah Welk, juniors Jared Risser and Gracie Hess, Tobias Leaman, freshman Owen Risser, senior Jordan Martin, and seventh grader Jaclyn Martin
- Market Goat Show - Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. with Leah Welk and eighth grader Katie Ranck
- Beef Show - Thursday at 5:00 p.m. with Jordan Martin and Jaclyn Martin
- Dairy Beef Judging - Thursday at 7:00 p.m. with junior Danae Ranck and senior Bryce Good
- Youth Livestock Sale - Friday at 6:30 p.m. with Leah Welk, Jess Herr, Grace Hess, Jared Risser, Owen Risser, Gracie Hess, Tobias Leaman, Jordan Martin, Jaclyn Martin, Danae Ranck, Katie Ranck, Bryce Good
FoodFairgoers can enjoy a variety of delicious treats at the Fair. The proceeds from several stands benefit L-S students, including:
- Garden Spot FFA - cold drinks, milk, sausage sandwiches, and ham loaf patties
- L-S Friends of Music - breakfast sandwiches, hot dogs, and hamburgers
- L-S Boys Lacrosse Boosters - pork BBQ, soup, and fruit cup
- Pioneer Interact Club - homemade pizza and walking tacos
- Lancaster South Rotary Club - funnel cake
Each year, dozens of L-S students take the initiative to enter their work in the fair. A walk through the exhibit halls will reveal prizewinning prepared foods, fruits and vegetables, floral arrangements, artwork, photography, crafts, Lego creations, and more from current students.
The official Lampeter-Strasburg booth is located in the commercial displays tent closest to the exhibition hall. Stop by whenever the fair is open to chat with school board members, administrators, and staff.
Good luck to all of the hardworking students competing in this year's West Lampeter Community Fair!
Join Our Communities
Lampeter-Strasburg School District
1600 Book Rd., Lancaster PA 17602
Administration Building: 717-464-4699
Lampeter Elementary School: 717-358-1880
Hans Herr Elementary School: 717-509-0300
Martin Meylin Middle School: 717-509-0289
Lampeter-Strasburg High School: 717-509-0485