2014 Board Recognition Banquet
May 13, 2014
The Class of 2014 (left to right): Mr. Kevin Franklin (Teacher of the Year), Mrs. Joellen Rowe (25 years of service), Mr. D. Scott Loose (retiree), Ms. Susan Fetterolf (25 years of service), Mr. Lester Stoltzfus (retiree), Mr. Robert Krady (retiree), Mrs. Diane Meyer (retiree), Mr. Samuel Martino and Mrs. Carolyn Martino (parents of Distinguished Alumni Dr. Lisa Martino McLeod). Missing from the picture are 25 year employees Mrs. Jody Allen and Mrs. Jacqueline St. John, retirees Mrs. Kristle Evans and Mr. Michael Chiodo, and Board Certified Teacher Mr. Benjamin Gibson.
Lampeter-Strasburg School District held its 40th annual Board Recognition Banquet on Friday, May 9, 2014. This is the event at which employees are recognized for years of service, National Board certification, and retirement. It is also when Teacher of the Year and Distinguished Alumni awards are officially announced. Some highlights from this year’s dinner:
High school teachers Susan Fetterolf and Jacqueline St. John, Martin Meylin teacher Joellen Rowe and Hans Herr program specialst Jody Allen were recognized for 25 years of service.
Martin Meylin music teacher and vocal music director Benjamin Gibson was recognized for receiving National Board Certification
Six retirees were honored:
- Michael Chiodo – Fifth grade teacher at Hans Herr. Mr Chiodo will retire in June 2014 with 26 years of service.
- Kristle Evans – Human Resources and Community Relations Director and former Director of Special Services.
- Ms. Evans retired in July 2014 with 14 years of service.
- Robert Krady – Lampeter-Strasburg High School custodian. Mr. Krady will retire in June 2014 with 15 years of service.
- Diane Meyer – Lampeter-Strasburg High School cafeteria employee. Ms. Meyer will retire in June 2014 with 8.5 years of service.
- D. Scott Loose – Martin Meylin grades 7/8 band director and former Lampeter-Strasburg High School band director.
- Mr. Loose retired in October 2014 with 34 years of service.
- Lester Stoltzfus – Technology Director. Mr. Stoltzfus will retire in June 2014 with 8 years of service.
Dr. Lisa Martin McLeod (L-S class of 1993) was presented with the 2014 Distinguished Alumni award. She was nominated by Dr. Robert Frick. Dr. McLeod is an accomplished pediatrician who currently serves as an Academic Instructor of Pediatric Hospital Medicine and Assistant Director of the Surgical Hospitalist Program at the Children's Hospital of Colorado in Aurora. Her current studies are related to improving quality and outcomes for children undergoing complex spinal procedures, particularly those with chronic medical conditions. Dr. McLeod was unable to attend the ceremony so the award was accepted on her behalf by her father, Mr. Samuel Martino.
Kevin Franklin, Martin Meylin 7th and 8th grade social studies teacher on the cobra team, was named the 2014 Teacher of the Year. Mr. Franklin has been with L-S for 20 years and also serves the district as a wrestling coach. He was presented with the Master of Pedagogy Award by school board president James Byrnes and Martin Meylin principal Jamie Raum.
Congratulations to all of the honorees for their service, dedication, and contribution to the Lampeter-Strasburg community.
Lampeter-Strasburg School District
1600 Book Rd., Lancaster PA 17602
Administration Building: 717-464-4699
Lampeter Elementary School: 717-358-1880
Hans Herr Elementary School: 717-509-0300
Martin Meylin Middle School: 717-509-0289
Lampeter-Strasburg High School: 717-509-0485