AlertNOWA top priority of the Lampeter-Strasburg School District is keeping parents and guardians informed. Consequently, we use the ALERTNOW Notification Service to initiate telephone messages that provide important information about school emergencies. In the event of an emergency, parents and guardians can have peace of mind knowing that they will be contacted immediately by phone.
The successful delivery of information is dependent upon accurate emergency contact information for each student, so please ensure that we have your most current contact information. Please let us know immediately if this information changes during the school year.
What you need to know about receiving calls sent through ALERTNOW:
- Caller ID will display the school's main number when a general announcement is delivered.
- Caller ID will display 411 if the message is a dire emergency.
- ALERTNOW will leave a message on any answering machine or voicemail.
- For weather related events, ALERTNOW will be used only in the event of an early dismissal. Calls will not be made for delays and cancellations.
Emergency/Inclement Weather Procedures
Inclement Weather ProceduresThe decision to delay or close school due to inclement weather will be reported on local radio and television stations on or before 7:00 a.m. When there is a delay or closing of school, pertinent information will be available on the website and answering service between 6:00 a.m. and 7:15 a.m. Text alerts will be sent for delays, cancellations, and early dismissals. Phone calls will not be made through our alert system for morning delays and cancellations. Weather-related schedule changes will be announced through the following outlets:
- L-S Facebook
- L-S Twitter
- WDAC (94.5)
- WIOV (105.1)
- WJTL (90.3)
- WLAN (96.9)
- WROZ (101.3)
- WARM (103.3)
- WSBA (93.9/910)
- Dial (717) 464-3311 and select option 8 to listen to the recorded message
In the event that schools must be closed early, an announcement will be made on the District website as well as with news outlets and on social media at least one hour prior to dismissal. An announcement also will be pushed out to families through text and the phone alert system. Parents should plan in advance with neighbors or friends to provide a place for children to stay when no one is at home and an early dismissal takes place. Please do not call the schools or stations as the phones are needed for emergency calls at this time.
2020-2021 Flexible Instruction/Virtual Learning Days
On February 8, 2021, we announced the decision to utilize Flexible Instruction Days (FID) for any remaining weather-related school closings that may occur in the 2020-2021 school year. Using FIDs will prevent adding days beyond June 8, the scheduled last day of the school year.
Flexible Instruction Days will be announced in the same manner and through the same outlets as always for weather-related delays and cancelations. Details and virtual learning schedules vary by building/grade and are posted on each school's home page.
- One Hour Delay: The morning session will be held from 9:55 a.m. to 12:10 p.m., and the afternoon session will be held from 1:10 p.m. to 3:25 p.m.
- Two Hour Delay: The morning session will be held from 10:55 a.m. to 12:40 p.m., and the afternoon session will be held from 1:40 p.m. to 3:25 p.m.
- There will be no Full Day Kindergarten (FDK) nor Extended Day Kindergarten (EDK) on days when school is delayed.
School Age Child Care (SACC)
- In the event of a one-hour delay, SACC will open at 7:15 a.m.
- With a two-hour delay, the program will run on a modified schedule with SACC opening at 8:00 a.m.
- If school is cancelled because of bad weather, SACC Snow Day Child Care will open at 8:30 a.m. with all children reporting to Hans Herr Elementary School Cafeteria site ONLY. Bag lunch and drink needed as no lunch will be provided.
- If SACC is CLOSED due to an extreme weather condition (blizzard, ice storm, state of emergency) it will be announced as early as possible with the name Lampeter-Strasburg School District (including SACC) on most radio stations and on WGAL-TV.
2020-2021 School Year Weather Make-Up DaysIf not needed for make-ups, the following will be vacation days:
- February 12: (School will be in session to make up for December 17)
- March 19: (School will be in session to make up for February 1)
- May 28: (School will be in session to make up for February 2)
More make-up days will be added at the end of the school year, if necessary.
Every snow day before January 22 will result in the January 25 inservice day moving forward by one day (i.e. 1 cancellation = January 26 inservice day, 2 cancellations = January 27 inservice day, etc.)
Lampeter-Strasburg School District
1600 Book Rd., Lancaster PA 17602
Administration Building: 717-464-4699
Lampeter Elementary School: 717-358-1880
Hans Herr Elementary School: 717-509-0300
Martin Meylin Middle School: 717-509-0289
Lampeter-Strasburg High School: 717-509-0485